Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It says what?!

This past Sunday at Sunday School we were having the lesson on Abraham and Sarah and God giving them a baby and being patient for God's gifts. The kids were taking turns reading the lesson story and the scripture story from the Bible. I have 4th & 5th graders

First I must say that I do not care for the Bibles that are in the rooms for the kids to use. One of our previous lessons, the scripture did not match the papers that we were trying to do. Then I got out the one Adventure Bible and it matched word for word. There use to be Adventure Bibles for kids in all the Sunday School rooms. Those were easier reading and have little boxes that give an example of the scripture lesson to put it into perspective for the kids. I'm not sure what happened to them, but they have been replaces by these others. I'm not sure what the version of these are, but for kids, I don't like them.

Anyway, one the 4th grade boys in the class was reading the bible verse and it came to a part about Sarah being past the age of still having her monthly period. He blushed slightly, said the word period like it was grotesque, but he kept going and didn't have much of a reaction and none of the other kids did. So I thought, whew, got through that okay.

He kept reading then it said something, and I'm paraphrasing, it was Sarah talking "am I still young enough to enjoy sex?" He fumbled over those words turn 10 shades of red. And I said "Does it REALLY say that?" He started snickering, and the other teacher said "YES it really says that!" And the whole room burst into laughter. He was so embarrassed.

But it kinda was funny, mostly just his & my reactions I think.

I really need to ask the pastor what happened to those other Bibles.

6 comments:

Guinevere said...

I think I would be asking too! lol I team teach a 5th and 6th grade class and we finished studying Song of Solomon recently. That one can be interesting to make it through too! lol

Jane! said...

Sounds like you've probably sparked some new interest in Sunday School!

Dory said...

Oh my. Wonder how many more boys you'll have in class next week?

Kat said...

Heavens to Betsy - was I the only one not over here?

The Lady in Pearls said...

Are you serious? It really did say that? That is toooooo funny! We never had sex in CCD.

The Lady in Pearls said...

I really need to start previewing my comments. What I meant was we never talked about sex in CCD!!!